2011-11-28

The Sin of King Ajatasatru


The Buddha said to Manjushri: "Oh good man! I granted this gatha. It is not for beings [in general]. It was to none other than King Ajatasatru. The Buddha, World Honored One, does not contradict what was said, if there is no reason to do so. When there is a reason, he then speaks. Oh good man! King Ajatasatru, after murdering his father, came to me, and to prevail over me, put me this question: 'Oh World Honored One, are you All-Knowledge, or are you not? Devadatta through countless ages past had an evil intent and thought of chase and harm the Tathagata. Why is it that you allowed him to become ordained’? Oh good man! Because of this, I granted this gatha for that king:

I follow what others say
and do not speak against [them].
And do not look for others [to see]
if they do or do not do [according to the Dharma];
I only look back upon the good
or evil of what I do.

I, the Buddha, said to the great king: 'Now you have killed your father. The
deadly sin has already been committed. It is the greatest of sins, whose consequence is life in Avichi Hell. Confess and purify yourself. Why do you look for the ill of others (in the case of Devadatta)’?  Oh good man! For this reason, I granted this sermon in a gatha just for his sake. Also, in addition, oh good man! I also grant this sermon for those who strictly uphold the precepts, who do not transgress them, who are perfect in conduct, and who see well what evil deeds others commit. Any person who is [rightly] guided by others, who keeps away from all evil deeds, who teaches others and makes them keep away from evil, is none other than one of my disciples."

Read More on the Nirvana Sutra, Chapter 17 - On the Questions Raised by the Crowd.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário