2010-10-05

Parable of the Clear Spring


"Oh, good man! Do not say that beings do not have the Buddha Nature just because of the retrogressive mind. For example, two people hear: ‘In another land, there is a mountain made of the seven treasures. On the mountain, there is a clear spring, whose water is sweet. Should any person reach this source, it will make away with poverty, and anyone who drinks its water will get a long life. But the way there is long and steep. Then, both men desire to go there. One of the persons goes equipped with various travelling utensils, while the other goes unprepared, not even keeping to the food rations. They are walking together, when along the way they meet a man who has plenty of treasures, perfect in the seven rarities. The two go to that person and ask: 'Is there any mountain of the seven treasures in that land'? The man replies: 'Actually, there is such a land, this is not false. I have already gained the treasures. I have tasted the water. The only thing to worry about is that the path is steep, and there are many thieves, gravel and thorns, aqueous plants (succulents) are rare. Thousands of millions (of people) go, but few reach the end’. Upon hearing this, one of the men feels regret and says: 'The way is long and there is more than one trouble. Countless are those who go and few arrive to the end. How can I expect reach this place? At present, I have what I need. If I stick to what I have, will not lose my life. If life is at stake, how can I think of longevity '? The other man also says: ‘People indeed go, I will go also. If I really reach that place, I will have the rarities and taste the sweet water. If I can not, let my life end there'. Now, one regrets after having started out and draws back, while the other goes on, reaches the mountain and rarities, and tastes the water that he desired to taste. Loading all that he has gained, he comes back to where he lives, serves his parents and ancestors.

Then, the one who regretted after having started out the journey, and who turned back, sees this and goes down with a fever. 'He went and is now back. How can I stay here'? And equipping himself, he starts out on the journey again.

The seven treasures can be compared to the Great Nirvana, the sweet water to the Buddha Nature, the two persons to two Bodhisattvas who first aspire to Bodhi, the steep path to birth and death, the man whom they meet on the way to the Buddha-World-Honored-One, the thieves to the four Maras, the gravel and thorns to defilements, the lack of watery plants to the non-practicing of the Way of Bodhi, the one who turns back to the retrogressing Bodhisattva, and the one who goes on alone to the non-retrogressing Bodhisattva.”

Nirvana Sutra, Chapter 34, on Bodhisattva Lion's Roar 2.


parable of the clear spring.mp3

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário