2011-07-04

Conversion of Vasistha

Vasistha said: "Oh World Honored One! Now I come to truly know the Eternal and the non-eternal."

The Buddha said: "Oh good man! How do you know the Eternal and the non-eternal?"

Vasistha said: "I now know that the self and the form are non-eternal and that the Emancipation is Eternal. So it is with [the five skandhas], down to consciousness."

"Oh good man! Now you repay well to this carnal body what you owe."

To Kaundinya, he said: "This Vasistha has now attained the fruition of Arhatship. Give him the three garments [robes] and a bowl (for donations)."

So Kaundinya gave the garments as instructed by the Buddha. Then, upon receiving the robes and bowl, Vasistha said: "Oh Kaundinya, greatly virtuous one! Now, I gained upon this my carnal body a great karmic reward. Please, oh greatly virtuous one, condescend to go to the Buddha and report in detail what happened with me. This evil body of mine has touched and defiled the Tathagata, and now adopts his family name Gautama. Please inform it in my behalf and say that I now repent of my evil deeds. Also, I cannot have this body of mine much longer in life. I shall now enter Nirvana."

Read More on the Nirvana Sutra, Chapter 45 - On Bodhisattva Kaundinya 1.

conversion of vasistha.mp3

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário