2010-11-24

The Jetavana Vihara History


“Then, Shariputra went to Sravasti, riding together with Sudatta. Through my transcendental power, they reached their destination in one day. Then, Sudatta said to Shariputra: 'Oh Highly Virtuous! Outside this gate, there is a place well suited for the purpose. It is neither near nor far, where there are many springs and ponds, many forests with flowers and fruits; and the place is pure, quiet and extensive. I shall build Viharas [dwelling-places] there for the Buddha and his bhiksus'. Shariputra said: 'The forest of Prince Jeta is neither near nor far off. It is pure and quiet. There are many springs and streams. There are seasonal flowers and fruits. This is the best place. Let us build a Vihara in there."
Then, on hearing this, Sudatta went to great rich man, Jeta, and said to him: 'I now desire to build a Buddhist Vihara and dedicate it to one unsurpassed in the Dharma, in a place that belongs to you. Now I wish to buy it from you. Will you sell it to me'? Jeta said: ' I will not sell it to you, even if you cover the ground with gold'. Sudatta said: 'Well said! The forest belongs to me. Take my gold’. Jeta said: 'I'm not selling the forest to you. How can I take your gold'? Sudatta said: 'If you are not satisfied, I'll go to the magistrate’. And both went to the magistrate. The magistrate said: ‘The forest belongs to Sudatta. Jeta should take the gold’. Sudatta immediately sent men with loads of gold on carts and horses. When they arrived, he covered the ground with gold. In one day he found himself an area of 500 'bu' [unit of land Chinese, around 6 feet or 6.4] covered, and yet not all was covered. Jeta said: 'Oh rich man! If you have any regret within you, you are quite free to cancel the deal’. Sudatta said: 'I feel no any regret’. He thought to himself, which store he should open now, to get gold for the area still left without coverage. Jeta thought to himself: ‘The Tathagata, the King of Dharma, is truly one unsurpassed. The wonderful things that he teaches are pure and pristine. That is why this man thinks so lightly about this treasure. He then said to Sudatta: 'I do not now need any gold for what remains uncovered. Please take it. I myself will build a gate for the Tathagata, such that he may go in and out of it’. Jeta built the gate, and in seven days, Sudatta built a great Vihara on an area of 300 'ken' [the 'ken' is about 6 feet] in width and length. There were rooms for quiet meditation, to the number of 63. The rooms were different for winter and summer. There were kitchens, bathrooms, and a place to wash one’s feet. There were two kinds of lavatory.
The buildings completed, he (Sudatta) took up an incense burner, and pointing toward Rajagriha, said: ‘The buildings are now completed. Oh, Tathagata! Please have pity and occupy this place, and live here for the sake of beings'. As soon I read the thought of this rich man from far off, I started out from Rajagriha. In the short space of time it takes a strong and youthful man to bend and extend your arm, I travelled to Sravasti, to Jetavana, and took possession of the Jetavana Vihara. When I arrived, Sudatta dedicated it to me. I then received it, and lived in it."

Nirvana Sutra, Chapter 36, on Bodhisattva Lion's Roar 4.


the jetavana vihara history.mp3

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário